Yeehaw! It’s time for a retail roundup. We have so many excellent examples of how our customers use Iterable, we figured we’d compile some together—by industry. To start off this roundup series, we’re compiling some retail case studies to show how Iterable (and our
partners pardners 🤠) can help retail brands make an impact with their customers. Giddyup!
Joybird specializes in the sleek lines of mid-century modern furniture styles, but its approach to customer messaging is thoroughly 21st century. The company’s value proposition is: “Joybird was founded on the idea that people should never settle when it comes to their home furnishing, but rather have the freedom to be boldly original.”
Joybird’s legacy tech stack had been built solely to serve online customers. This worked at the time, but its data systems and communication platforms didn’t give Joybird the unified customer views and supply-chain efficiency the company needed to continue its evolution into a fully hybrid operation.
Joybird realized measurable business value with three key areas with Iterable in its new, streamlined tech stack, which also includes RudderStack for data architecture and customer data platform and Snowflake for the data cloud. These key areas include flexible data, accessible data, and robust segmentation.
- The company saved 79 hours of campaign creation time switching from Bronto to Iterable.
- Marketing team is now able to spin up new campaigns in an hour, down from 2 weeks.
- Engineering time fell 93 percent now that the back-end team no longer needs to build singular connections anymore. A marketing team request that might have required two weeks of back-end work can now take about an hour because the data is already in models in its data warehouse.
Founded in 2015 by best friends Wombi Rose and John Wise, Lovepop introduced the duo’s own creation: Slicegami™️, a pop-up paper design that marries kirigami’s cutting and folding with the mathematical precision of sliceform structure used in ship design.
As part of its “customer happiness” goal, Lovepop relies on segmentation and 1:1 real time personalization to send meaningful messages, especially as it expands its product lines and designs to appeal to new customer segments.
Using an integration with tech partner Lytics in the Iterable platform, Lovepop adds dynamic content modules populated with individualized product recommendations to broadcast campaigns introducing seasonal designs and product lines.
Plus, with Iterable’s Experiments tool, Lovepop can test several subject lines on small segments of a broadcast audience for two hours after deployment. At the two-hour mark, the winning subject line automatically goes out to the remaining 70% of the audience.
- Reduced churn while maintaining higher engagement and maximizing revenue leveraging Iterable’s Brand Affinity™.
- Using Iterable Experiments, Lovepop consistently saw a +20% lift in click-through rate.
- Individualized product recommendations with Iterable and Lytics.
- More effective use of first-party data with Iterable and Tealium.
- Saves at least 2 hours per week with the easy usability of Iterable segmentation.
With Rocksbox, members pay a monthly subscription fee to gain access to rent unlimited jewelry from premium designers and brands. For Rocksbox, email marketing and member communications are key for growth, customer activation, and ongoing engagement.
“We’re bringing a lot of data into Iterable through our API—custom events and woven properties to personalize our journeys based on the customer’s actions. But then we’re also bringing in details around the customer’s preferences. When working with our Engineering team on setting up the custom events we’re bringing into Iterable, we try to be as sort of broad at the top level as possible so that then a lot of the customization can happen within Iterable itself. It’s not happening on the engineering side and that has really helped us save a lot of time because we can just do it ourselves.”
– Naomi Eshleman, Lifecycle Marketing Manager @ Rocksbox
Iterable allows a team of two marketers to manage engagement campaigns sending well over 500,000 monthly messages to hundreds of thousands of customers and subscribers.
- Rocksbox uses Iterable for all customer engagement campaigns and messaging, eliminating the need for separate systems.
- Iterable enables Rocksbox to easily run sophisticated journeys that maximize customer engagement.
- Rocksbox has A/B tested every single message sent via Iterable and has achieved significant lift in metrics and ROI.
Ritual, a subscription based, direct-to-consumer wellness brand, was founded in 2015 on the premise that “better health begins with better ingredients.”
Like many growing companies, Ritual had a plethora of customer data but struggled to harness it to drive their marketing touchpoints. A number of cloud data sources sent data to Snowflake (their analytics database) which then sent data to Looker (their business intelligence tool).
By replacing their legacy ESP with Iterable’s growth marketing platform, and enhancing their use of Segment, Ritual was able to orchestrate cross-channel campaigns on key intent and engagement behavior. In 2020, with the introduction of men’s products, this became mission critical functionality that enabled them to successfully launch into an entirely new audience.
In addition, launching a new product into an entirely new audience required continual iteration and testing. With Iterable Experiments, Ritual was able to create an aggressive testing calendar to help them learn about their men’s audience and optimize their messaging in real-time.
- 12.5% lift in overall campaign conversion by leveraging Iterable Experiments
- 45% lift in conversion in a single campaign
- Hyper-personalized lifecycle campaigns enabled by Iterable’s partnership with Segment
5. Stanley Black & Decker
As a B2B2C company, Stanley Black & Decker’s core business is to generate demand for its distributors and retailers, such as Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Amazon, by acquiring and activating its end-user data.
This mission to better understand their customers is a challenging one: a small but mighty two-person team is responsible for managing over ten automated customer journeys across eight markets and four total brands, including DEWALT, BLACK+DECKER, IRWIN, and STANLEY TOOLS.
With minimal coding, the customer journey team can customize countless variations of their emails with a single template that auto-populates with data from the catalog they’ve created.
- With personalization enabled by Iterable Catalog, Stanley Black & Decker achieved a 7% increase in clicks to its e-commerce stores, when compared to non-customized emails.
- In addition to increasing email engagement, Iterable’s automation decreased the team’s amount of busy work by reducing the number of email templates created by 80%.
- By gaining back 5-10 hours spent on each template, the customer journey team can spend more time on messaging strategy.
- Hours saved also equates to money saved as Stanley Black & Decker is now less dependent on external agencies to get their work done.
The Retail Rodeo
We’ve managed to lasso a few retail examples from our customer story repository, but there’s plenty more where that came from. Overall, some themes have emerged from even just these examples alone. Iterable helps retail brands save time, execute experiments, and increase customer engagement—ultimately reducing churn. That’s just one industry, too. Iterable has helped a wide array of other industries that we’ll roundup as part of this series—so stay tuned.
To learn how Iterable can help your retail brand save time and money, schedule a demo today.